Sunday, December 8, 2013

Perspective

I have been struck recently about the enabling or crippling power of perspective.  I am working to receive tenure as a college professor.  In five (or fewer) years my credentials and accomplishments will be evaluated by my colleagues to determine if I warrant receiving tenure.  I will need to leave the university if I do not receive tenure.  At times the challenge and significance of receiving tenure has weighed heavily on my mind.  At these times fear of the worst situation (i.e. no tenure) begin to weigh on my mind and I find myself becoming paralyzed.  My actions and motivations start to focus on responding to my fears.  Contrast this to my goal of becoming tenured in 4 years (yes, I told this to my boss).  When I think of this goal I am motivated to work to have the accomplishments needed for tenure.  The goal of early tenure is a  motivating force which compels me to work hard and to do my best.  For me, two different perspectives regarding the same work lead to two vastly different responses.  I can't help but wonder how other perspectives are helping or hindering me in other areas of my life.

David Blunck

No comments:

Post a Comment