Sunday, March 2, 2014

Faith and Moral Absolutes

The significance of faith has been on my mind recently.  There seems to be a shift in society away from faith in God and a leaning toward moral relativism.  The latter idea being that there are no absolute right or wrong decisions in life.  As an engineer/scientist this defies everything which I understand.  Science is founded upon absolutes.  If I jump off of a building I will fall.  If I put certain chemicals together reactions occur.  If a balloon is put over a fire it will pop.  Etc...  These actions occur every time, even if I don't understand the reason for it.  To summarize, there are actions in reactions in all aspects of our life.  The pursuit of science then is to better understand the cause and effect of actions.  Just as how there are physical laws that have consequences, so also are there moral and spiritual laws which have consequences.  To acknowledge that there are physical absolutes, but not spiritual or moral absolutes does not make sense to me.  Our job, just like we do in science, is to understand these spiritual laws and then live our life accordingly.

The underpinnings of spirituality is faith.  Faith is believing in something which we can't see, but know is true.  So, how do I have my faith in God and Jesus Christ, both of whom I have never seen or heard?  I know that They exist because I feel it - through the Holy Spirit.  Just as people are motivated by love (which cannot be seen with mortal senses), I am motivated by special experiences and feelings which I have had.  I know that these experiences came from God and I know that other people can experience this as well, if they seek it.  I have performed "experiments" where I have come to understand things in a spiritual sense.  Other people can do it, and if what I believe in really is moral absolutes, then they will receive the same responses.

David L. Blunck



   

No comments:

Post a Comment